Sunday, June 10, 2007

20070610

Bought a pedometer yesterday, a little gadget that clips on the belt and counts how many steps have been taken. Kind of silly, and I did put a piece of black plastic tape over the brand name to make it a little less obvious. But I sit around too much and want to be more active, and I figure a good way to do that is by somehow measuring how much I walk. Here it is 2:25 PM and the count is 9589 steps. Walked to the library and picked up a book of poems (Garrision Keillor's collection of "Good Poems for Hard Times"), went on the shady wooded path that runs through our town. It's quite warm today, around 90 F (30 C), so the shade was a good idea, as well as a cap.

The idea is to walk at last around 10K steps a day, or 12K for good measure. Usually I get excited about these things for about three weeks and then it stops, because of some new thought to chase. Last year it was yoga, intensely so because of an introductory offer to go as often as you like during the first month. It felt pretty good, but got sort of expensive later on and so it got eliminated. So, got to do something to keep fit.

Having spent the past hour reading blogs that I like to keep up with, it's time to move along...or take a mid-afternoon nap...

2 Comments:

Blogger Annie Wicking said...

My friend and I use one of those when we go out walking on Sunday.

I too am worried that I'm not active enough, but it's a bit hard when I have to sit all day with work and then in the evening in the short time I have to be sitting again so I can have time to write.
I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Best wishes
Annie

6/15/2007  
Blogger steve said...

Hello Annie -
Last week I took the pedometer along during a round of golf and logged something like 15000 steps, which I think comes out to something like twice the length of the course. I don't always wear it, but I do take the opportunity to walk more during the day.

Your writing is going well and best of luck on the pieces that you submit, you have a lot to offer.

6/23/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter