Saturday, March 03, 2007

20070303

Welcome - I'd offer you some tea, if there was a way...this morning the sunlight is brilliant off the fresh snow.

Music last night was, as expected, sparsely attended - a few loyal folks who often show up, fellow musicians mostly. Nice to see them.

Ah, the weekend ahead. I often spend a bit of time planning on Saturday mornings, it gives a sense of hope that things will all get sorted out. Usually by about 2 pm I've wandered far off course, but at least some of it gets done.

To be a writer...a good writer...a whole brain writer. Need to give the whole brain a chance to participate, I suppose. Sounds difficult, if not undefined.

Possible criteria for good writing:

people spend time reading it
people ask other people if they've read it
and, might as well admit - people spend money to read it

By those criteria, we end up with popular trash being good writing, which is clearly a grinding sort of definition.

The dialogues of Socrates - I used to love reading them, and I suppose they are well written. They are loaded with explorations of definitions that typically leave common assumptions in shreds. They are popular with some, but I don't meet many who have (1) taken the time to read them, (2) asked others if they've read them, or (3) spent money to read them. But I doubt that many would seriously claim that Plato's dialogues of Socrates are not good writing.

The works of Shakespeare - never mind, you get the point.

Some write simply because they can't not write. There is too much to say in one short life.

My daughter C does well at writing. She can sit down at the computer late at night, after working or babysitting or time with friends, think of a topic and write a pretty decent paper for class the next day. There's a kind of ability to focus and sense the parts that need to come together. It's nice to see, biased as I of course am.

I should be careful about singling out one of the children, that is always fraught with comparison. My defense is that they are all different, all have their own strengths, and I need to take care to recognize and encourage each of them (This is clearly disclaimer language).

OK, on with the morning plans, more thinking about writing later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Allan said...

What makes good music? It's not Billboard...

3/05/2007  
Blogger steve said...

allan - I don't really know...but I think most music that I like has an element of conversation that I can follow, even if it's really simple. I spent some time reading at your site - I see you play bass - me too, since high school or so. I like the role of trying to support and glue everything together, or at least that's how I think of it sometimes. Life can seem kind of unglued at times, can't it? Thanks for stopping by!

3/06/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter